MENTAL HEALTH & WELLNESS FUND
The goal of The Hannaford/Doherty Mental Health & Wellness Fund
is to honour Hal and Susan's legacy of caring at Selwyn House, where every boy is Known and Loved
Many mental health problems start in childhood and adolescence. However, because issues related to mental health are often overlooked in children and adolescents, only one in five children who need mental health services receive them.The Hannaford/Doherty Mental Health & Wellness Fund
will provide training and certification by Mental Health First Aid Canada
each year to Selwyn House teachers and staff to help identify and address mental health problems when they first become apparent. Early intervention can help to prevent problems from becoming worse.
In particular this program will:
- Increase awareness of the signs and symptoms of the most common mental health issues
- Decrease stigma related to mental health issues
- Increase the confidence of the Selwyn House community to positively interact with people who are experiencing a mental health problem or crisis
- Increase the potential to help individuals in crisis or experiencing a mental health problem
Hal Hannaford, Headmaster of Selwyn House School, remarks: "Having the staff take a CPR course is an important part of ensuring the safety of the Selwyn House community. However, the chances of actually having to use this knowledge in one's lifetime are, thankfully, very slim. Training our staff in Mental Health First Aid also ensures the safety of the Selwyn House community, and we will be called on to use these skills many times each day."
The Hannaford/Doherty Mental Health & Wellness Fund will provide the needed funds when they are most needed. Please give generously.
The Selwyn House Endowment Funds are used to create all the bursaries awarded each year. Bursaries are created from the interest earned, so the principal of the fund is never touched.
Most donations received are designated to the General Endowment Fund that provides about 75 per cent of the all the bursaries awarded each year. The remaining 25 per cent of the bursaries are from the named funds.
All of Selwyn House's bursaries are needs-based awards and are given out anonymously. Apart from the Bursary Committee and the Business Office, no one else in the school knows that a student is receiving a bursary.