Preservation architect Massimiliano “Max” L. Ferro ’57 died April 23, 2019, son of the late Alberto Ferro and Cristina Bianca Pellizzari, the illustrator known as "Miki."
A resident of Brandon, VT, formerly of Boston, Max was born in Turin, Italy, on February 27, 1942. His parents immigrated to Montreal in 1947, and Max was educated at Selwyn House, Trinity Collegiate School, and McGill University (B. Architecture). His first post was at Shepley Bullfinch. Max later became the first Resident Architect for Historic New England. In 1977, he founded The Preservation Partnership in Newton and New Bedford, the first historic preservation firm in New England. His projects included the restoration of The Elms and Marble House for the Preservation Society of Newport; the Massachusetts Senate Chamber; stabilizing the original Moana Hotel, Waikiki; and scores of historic landmarks throughout New England. For many years, he taught graduate historic preservation at Boston University, Harvard, and the University of Vermont. Max was made a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects in 1987, the first Fellow recognized for contributions to Historic Preservation.
He is survived by his wife, Janie Chester Young, daughters Bianca Ferro and Sarah Young, and myriad friends. A private celebration is planned. Contributions to the Stratford Festival (Canada) or Helen Porter Rehabilitation are appreciated.