5 Pillars of our philosophy
1. EXCELLENT SCHOOLS HAVE STRONG, MORAL LEADERSHIP
Strong leadership is based on vision, passion, trust, and integrity. A strong leader must articulate the mission of his school and continually demonstrate a clear vision of the future.
He must embrace and demonstrate the school’s core values of compassion, honesty and respect. This also implies the necessity for moral leadership.
A school is a learning environment, and this must be clearly demonstrated at all levels of administration. A strong leader must be committed to lifelong learning. This can provide tremendous inspiration to the school community. He must encourage and celebrate a culture of excitement towards the learning process.
2. EXCELLENT SCHOOLS FOCUS ON BOTH STAFF AND STUDENTS, WITH SPECIAL ATTENTION DIRECTED TOWARDS FACULTY CULTURE
In order to thrive in school, each student needs an effective and challenging learning environment, a chance to accomplish, and recognition of his accomplishments.
A. Learning Environment:
An effective learning environment for boys is comprised of three elements:
- A strong and well-supported program based on a balance of academics, athletics, arts, technology and experiential learning.
- A culture of respect and discipline that focuses on prevention of lapses without ignoring consequences.
- An opportunity to face challenges at all levels: academic, intellectual, physical, social, emotional, and spiritual. These challenges are also the key ingredients of success at the post-secondary level.
B. Staff and Faculty:
Global research indicates that size of the school and quality of its teachers make the most difference in providing an effective learning environment. It is always a challenge to maintain and attract excellent staff, and as a result, the attention given to faculty culture is crucial. Faculty morale must be continually addressed.
We must always remember: The quality of education cannot exceed the quality of the teacher. The three attributes that are necessary for any member of staff are: professionalism, a true understanding of children and how they learn, and a commitment to the pedagogical process.
3. EXCELLENT SCHOOLS FOSTER A CULTURE OF COOPERATIVE EDUCATION AND LEARNING THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY.
Particular attention must be paid to parents and alumni. Parents must become involved with their sons’ education, but also must understand the difference between involvement and interference.
Alumni relations are vital. The importance of maintaining contact and establishing effective communication with alumni cannot be overstated.
4. EXCELLENT SCHOOLS HAVE EFFECTIVE GOVERNANCE.
An active, engaged and strategic board of directors maintains the enthusiasm and energy to support an ambitious vision.
5. EXCELLENT SCHOOLS DEVELOP AND MAINTAIN FINANCIAL STABILITY.
The relationship between the headmaster and finance office is important. I believe two broad financial goals should be established. The first is to have 100 percent of operating expenses (including financial assistance) covered by hard income. The second is to establish an endowment fund that is three times the annual tuition level.